[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Spice simulation pictures

At 05:25 AM 10/29/96 +0000, you wrote:

>From Benson_Barry%PAX5-at-mr.nawcad.navy.milMon Oct 28 21:44:11 1996
>Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 07:50:00 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Benson_Barry%PAX5-at-mr.nawcad.navy.mil
>To: tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: Spice simulation pictures
>

>The book is "Advanced Mathematics for Engineers" by Reddick & Miller.
>Thanks for the good data.
>Barry
>
> ----------
>|From: "tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com"-at-PMDF-at-PAXMB1
>|To: Benson Barry; "Tesla-list-subscribers-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com"-at-PMDF-at-PAXMB1
>|Subject: Re: Spice simulation pictures
>|Date: Thursday, October 24, 1996 2:58AM
>|
>|<<File Attachment: 00000000.TXT>>
>|> Subject: Re: Spice simulation pictures
>|
>|From bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-comWed Oct 23 21:19:14 1996
>|Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 22:09:40 -0700
>|From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>
>|To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>|Subject: Re: Spice simulation pictures
>|
>|Tesla List wrote:
><SNIP>
>
>|> I am working on a spread sheet in Excel but
>|> haven't figured out how to do summations
>|> in spreadsheeteese for calculating the
>|> bessel function expansions for solving for
>|> Rac/Rdc from the formula I got in Reddick's
>|> book.
>|> Barry
>|<Big SNIP>
>|
>|Barry,
>|
><SNIP>
>|
>|However.....
>|>From a very _practical_ standpoint, most coilers find it considerably
>|simpler to wind the coil, measure the Q, then back-figure the effective
>|Rac. In fact, the problem posed by Robert Stephens was the _first_ time
>|I actually had any need to compute the impact of proximity effect...
>|
>|Safe and not-too-theoretical coilin' to ya!
>|
>|-- Bert --

  Barry $ Bert -

Have you found the Rac for any of your coils?

I have a graph in one of my books that shows the effective resistance vs
wattage for a typical Tesla coil. It is based on a Q factor graph in
Terman's book and other information. This information was used to
back-figure the Rac.

The graph can then be used to estimate Rac at the design stage before a coil
is built. However, I have not had been able to verify this graph because I
have not found coilers who make these tests and calculations.

Jack C.