[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: EMP cabinet/aquisitions philosophy

Tesla List wrote:

> >> Subject: Re: EMP cabinet

snipola

> >Robert,
> >
> >I would say that right after the US, civilian directed, military waste
> >program, you Canadians have the best military surplus market in the
> >world.  Besides, I saw some of the old gear you used in the Radio
> >Astronomy quest of a few years back.  You are a kindred spirit
> >"scrounger".  This is the key to the doing!  Rather than whining and
> >wringing hands, we get out there and push and shove to scrounge up the
> >stuff we need to get the job done.  Information wise, the internet is a
> >great place to scrounge.
> >
> >Richard Hull, TCBOR
>
> Richard,
>
> Yeah, O.K. so I'm just jealous.  But you're absolutely right, rather
> than whining, guys like you and me go out there and 'find' what it is
> we need to get the job done.  My philosophy is that if you cannot
> afford the parts you need, think of somewhere where society is
> throwing them away, and go THERE.  Trouble I often run into though is
> that many of the goodies I need, scientific and electrical surplus,
> are often laiden with copper and aluminum.  You end up in a bidding
> war with scrap metal dealers who just want to melt the stuff down for
> the cash value of the metals. This makes me want to cry because it is
> such a waste of equipment that could instead be helping unfunded
> researchers like us discover the mysteries of the universe. This is
> my grass roots solution to 'Big labs, big money, big waste'!!!

Robert,

Good thoughts!  I have had the same battle over the "contained elements"
in surplus gear myself!  It amazes me too.  I once commented to a scrap
dealer about the waste.  He came up with a novel albeit rather plebian
counter that "it gave people work" when good equipment was scraped out.
First the scrap dealers (self-interest) plus all those folks building the
new and hopefully the better equipment (attempted altruism). Sensing his
weakness, I noted that most of his scrap is bought by the Japenese now
who make cars and even test gear which rivals and even surpasses the
American products.  I didn't win any points with him on this stinging
truth for it was he who mentioned that the japanese were buying every
form of metal in sight and driving prices to where his normal buyers were
out of the bidding.
 R. Hull

>RWS continues:
> Since the kinda stuff we drag home is often heavy, it is still 'valuable' in scrap
> metal weight.  I had to pay $125.00 for a gutted aluminum box which was like
> a 19 inch rack cabinet for a microwave power oscillator I built recently, simply
> based on its weight times the value per pound of scrap aluminum.
>
> Occasionally we will 'discover' surplus that is perfect for our
> needs, astronomically expensive to buy new, and available cheap
> because it has less scrap value than the cost to tear it down.  This
> is how I obtained my two solid surface 60 foot parabolic dish
> antennas for my radioastronomy work in the Western Arctic for a
> dollar.  I had to relocate my lab and all wordly possessions 700 miles north
> from Edmonton, Alberta, to where for 10 months of the year the snow flies, and
> for 2 months the black flies : (  , in order to use them, because they were too
> expensive to relocate, but I took the big challenge and siezed the opportunity!
>
> In a similar vein, how many coilers out there are dedicated enough to that
> enormous coil project someday that if they located a perfect One
> Megawatt generator and pad step up transformer somewhere for a dollar
> on say the back side of the moon (figuratively speaking), would they relocate
> their life to go to it and use it in situ?

Robert,

I can safely say that there are probably between ZIP and maybe one of
the coilers who would cast off their daily mantle to hermitize and risk
their future on such an endevor!!  The world has few inspired dreamers,
but many worker bees. (as it should be)  R. Hull

Robert continues:

> This may be extreme, but the idea is sound.  Heck, Tesla moved all the
> way across the continent to Colorado Springs just for the offer of free electricity.
> Coilers have heart!  Stop whining and go take advantage of what this stupid
> world throws away.  Richard, you said the internet is a good place to
> scrounge...its also too easy a place to whine!

Ahem brother!!!!!!!!!  The ultimate Soap Box.   R. Hull

Robert finishes:

> As for me, I'm out looking now for that big generator and pad transformer,
> but just a 250 kilowatt to 1/2 Megawatt size.  One I can hope to move :).
>
> Start scrounging guys!
>
> rwstephens
> professional scrounger
> (YES! I've made it my career.)

Good luck and happy scroungin'...  Richard Hull, TCBOR