[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tuning Problem & synergistics

At 10:25 PM 09/04/96 -0600, you wrote:
>> Subject: Tuning Problem & synergistics
>
>>From hullr-at-whitlock-dot-comWed Sep  4 22:08:36 1996
>Date: Wed, 04 Sep 1996 10:10:31 -0700
>From: Richard Hull <hullr-at-whitlock-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: Tuning Problem & synergistics

[snip]

>Robert,
>
>Synergy, synergism and synergistic as terms applyed to a more artisitic
>form than a scientific one.  Synergistic refers to a manner of working,
>or in this case, tuning or balancing a system so that all of the
>component parts are performing as one.  No part predominates or rules the
>system to such an extent that all other parts must be subordinate to it.
> It is a balancing act in which all parts are in harmony.  It is
>traditionally done on the fly by experienced and adroit hands.
>
>  Computational results are the limit of science, synergy is the limit of
>man's ability to interceed after the equations are cranked and delicately
>adjust a system to work its best in real world situations through the
>integration of acquired knowledge and art or craft.
>
>Synergy is not codified or codifiable or it would just be science. It is
>an artistic skill and is recognized only through repititious itterations
>with real world situations.  It is one of the defining characters of
>man's abilities in his interactions with the natural world and its
>phenomena.
>
>Oddly, it is probably it is one of the important concepts to keep in mind
>during any scientific investigations of nature.
>
>Richard Hull, TCBOR

Sorry, but you're delivering an incorrect definition here, I believe. From
the American Heritage dictionary:

"The action of two or more substances, organs, or organisms to achieve an
effect of which each is individually incapable." [NLat *synergismus* <Gk
*sunergos*, working together: *sun-*, with + *ergon*, work]

The concepts you are discussing are no less valid; but based on your
definition of parameters you should use a term other than synergy in order
to get a clear communication.

trapper

John C. Lancaster, -     Editor & Writer      - trapper-at-rnet-dot-com
Coming: BizMax - A Different 'Ezine: http://www.bizmax.rnet-dot-com/