[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More melted stuff

  Date:
        Thu, 10 Apr 1997 19:18:50 -0500 (CDT)
  From:
        Bert Pool <bertpool-at-flash-dot-net>
    To:
        Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

At 10:13 AM 4/10/97 -0500, you wrote:
>        Re: More melted stuff
>  Date:
>        Thu, 10 Apr 1997 00:43:42 -0400 (EDT)
>  From:
>        richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
>    To:
>        Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>

>>Richard,
>>
>>Micheal Cranford suggested that I pre-test the dual coil by driving it with
>>a signal generator and adjust the outer coil's number of turns so that its
>>length/inductance/resonant frequency corresponds to the inner coil.  I think
>>it is a valid suggestion and I'm going to do this before I apply power. It
>>will be interesting to see how much difference there will be between the two
>>coils.  I'll post this, it could be of value to other experimenters.
>>

>>Bert Pool
>>bertpool-at-flash-dot-net
>>

>Bert,
>
>Might be a good idea, but in hot flaming action where the current
>courses
>hard and fast, the Fr's might move about a bit on their own.  Separately
>testing them with a sig. gen. might be just an innocent exercise....
>like
>tickling the dragon's tail.  Even in parallel, they are still mutually
>inductively coupled.  It ain't like two far removed coils in parallel.
>
>  In THEORY they should have the same currents and potentials on each
>after
>matching, right?......riigghhttt!  In theory, maybe, I think, I
>hope,.... oh
>please let them be the same!!!
>
>Good luck.  It's by doin' crap like this that the whole business moves
>ever
>onward and upward.  When someone says it can't be done or won't work,
>that
>is like a signal to me that starts me movin off ta' do it.
>
>Richard Hull, TCBOR

By plugging the coil values into a spreadsheet using Wheeler's formula,
find that in _theory_, I will only have to reduce the length of the
outer
coil by 1 inch or so.  I will do this at the ground end of the coil
where
relative voltages are small.  Even as they sit, the the two windings are
identical to within less than a 2% tolerance.  Chopping off the outer
coil
that little bit should bring them within 1/2% of having the same
self-resonant frequency and inductance.

I just bought $60 of new 125 mil poly to wrap this secondary in.  I'm
mounting the top corona ring a couple inches higher, I'm insulating the
top
two turns of the primary cable, and I'm seriously thinking about cutting
cone shaped poly arc shield to go under the corona ring, something a bit
like Tesla's HV corona "funnel" that he used at CS.

Bert Pool
bertpool-at-flash-dot-net