[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Re Basics

From: 	Malcolm Watts[SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent: 	Sunday, August 03, 1997 3:59 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: Re Basics

Hi all,
          A few comments:

I have noticed that ozone/NOx generation seems to be very much higher
for small high frequency systems. This may be an illusion or it may
not. I wonder if E = hv is at work in this instance?? ?  Anyone
measured the amount of gases from a small and large system and
compared them?

> >From other posts on this list a 4" coil sounds good although my first coil
> was 7" diameter wound on plastic gas pipe and this has worked very well
> at low power and also at higher powers.  Its resonant frequency is 170KHz with
> 24" toroid and spark production is good.   I was able to generate 6" sparks
> on only 1.5Kv primary voltage.  I now get 45" from the same coil running at
> 11Kv and 3KVA.
>
> You want to aim for about 900 turns of wire on the secondary.  Chose wire
> size so that the winging length does not exceed 4 times the diameter.
>
> Make the primary from copper pipe, refirgeration tube is good, but quite
> expensive.  Coax makes a cheaper alternative remember that skin effect comes
> into play here so thin wire is no good - use the braid.

Aaarrrrgggghhhh!!!  Please _do not_ use braid. You will degrade
primary Q _very_ significantly. Skin effect is exactly what makes
braid a no-no. If you don't believe me, go ahead and use it and
remember to wear heat proof gloves if you handle it after firing.
<snip>

Malcolm