[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Top Toroid

Richard Hull said:
>>Bert, Jim,
>
>I usually shoot for 2X the coils length as a toroidal diameter!!  Obviously,
>in Jim's case he is grossly underpowered for such an item.

Big grin! (I'm seeing-in-my-mind a 40" toroid, 20" secondary and my
little-itty-bitty neon) Last year at this time (using my 15kV 60mA
neon) I had to stop saying more power and start saying more Room! 1
year Later, I can't say either;( I have a choice of either a 15kV 60mA
neon or a 10kVA 7.5kV pig (with improvised ballasting;) FYI, due to
THIS list's help I'm getting about 50% longer arcs from the same setup
NOW vs Last Year. (ignoring 4 cap building sessions) I was up to about
3' (eye ball guesstimate off of a 1/2" directing bump) air discharges
tonight with a 7" by 20" toroid.

>The reason to select so large a top load with regard to the resonator is
>Tesla's own suggestion that the system might be better designed from the
>resonator backwards!  He made this statement in the CSN.

[snip]
>  I never
>start with the transformer and work towards the toroid as last
>consideration.  It is a first thought item!

Richard,
	In my case, I arrived-at this construction. ( I'm a degreed
EE; I will NOT call it a design!) I started with the secondary form!
and worked sideways from there. Worse, I don't even have a feel for
the required ROC for a top load for a 8" by 20" secondary.  I am
learning however (slowly;)

>In Jim's case, he has a transformer and that is his limiting factor.  He can
>never get what he desires from his system beyond what the little neon
>transformer can supply.  So I would imagine a 12" X 5" toroid might be
>sufficient maybe a little larger.

I am learning. I need better caps, a good ballast for my pig, several
sets of primary and secondary's and a better rotary. Plus, lots more
experience! Before I reach your levels, I will have to move.  This
neighborhood is to dense for proper coiling. (ignoring the AirPort
flight path I'm under)

	Regards,

	jim