[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Pri/Sec coiling

Tesla List wrote:

> Subscriber: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com Mon Feb 10 21:50:29 1997
> Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 10:53:45 -0500 (EST)
> From: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Pri/Sec coiling
>
> > If anyone here has ever built a tesla coil running off one 12Kv 30ma
> >neon, let me know, this will be my first. And possibly make another with
> >two 15kv neons ;) if the first is successfull, and I take it I will
> > learn a GREAT deal of information upon the completion of the first?
> >Isn't that what practice is?
> >snip
>
> > Thanks again!
>
> >Jeremy Bair
>   >>
> Jeremy,
>
> One of my first s. g. TCs used a 12 kV, 30ma trans.  It produced an absolute
> max spark of 40",  but comfortably gave 37 - 38" sparks.  To obtain these
> lengths, a bump had to be placed on the 17" toroid so that only one streamer
> was produced.  Multiple steamers reduced the length to about 31" I suppose.
>  I posted the specs for this coil about a week ago I believe.

Oh yeah? I will look for it then.. Got any pics?

> I eventually used this transformer in a small magnifier which gave 36"  max
> sparks.   When this transformer blew out, I replaced it with another trans of
> the same specs which was newer and physically smaller, but it now gave only
> 30" sparks.  It seems to me that all neon transformers (of the same rating)
> are not the same ( I don't think the newer one was defective).  I WOULD BE
> INTERESTED to hear if anyone has seen this range of variation between neon
> sign transformers?  I have never heard this mentioned by anyone other than
> myself.

Strange, I have heard that the actually make of the neons, depending on
the company, can either last longer, or produce better efects. Did you
unpot these coils? Or are you estimating the size on the metal casing?

> Jeremy, I'm sure you'll get plenty of answers from others to your other
> questions.
>
> Happy coiling,
>
> John Freau

Coiling? Soon. As soon as I can find a damn 'Motor Rebuilding Shop'! I
need some copper!

Jeremy Bair