[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: First Coil

Tesla List wrote:

> Subscriber: rwt-at-ozemail-dot-com.au Mon Feb 10 22:06:52 1997
> Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 17:02:55 +1000
> From: Russell W Taylor <rwt-at-ozemail-dot-com.au>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: First Coil
>
> Hi all,
> I finally found a couple of neon transformers and am now getting ready
> for coil building. The transformers are rated at 240V input and output
> is 15000/30mA and 10000/30mA. Both transformers work well. My question
> is thus....
> What else do I need to begin. From my understanding these neons will
> suit a smallish coil which is all I plan on starting with. I would like
> to buy a cap if possible as I am not that skilled at making one. What
> should I look for?
> Also, I am a little confused about pulling apart the neons and
> dissolving the tar etc. Is this necessary or is it only if I want to
> beef up the output or repair the beasts. Sorry I sound so vague, but I
> am new to this and would like to get it right (or there near abouts) the
> first time.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Russell.
> rwt-at-ozemail-dot-com.au

Is Austrailian standard of power 220V? That is a rather high rating for
a neon.
That sounds like a pole pig transformer ;)

Hey Russel, you sound just like me! I'm getting ready to get some neons
from a local lady in business for herself making signs, she has quite a
LARGE amount of new 12KV 30ma transformers for 20$ (!!), so I will pick
up a few.

Anyhow, why dont you send email to tesla-2-at-emachine-dot-com, it is a new
tesla list created for the beginner. I would like to get to talk with
you, you sound just like you are ready to get started, just like me.
Here are the specs I'm gonna use:

3" secondary, 22" high.
#24 AWG Copper wire for secondary.
Coax, Soft Copper tubeing, or some other kind of primary, still looking
into that.
Salt Water Bottle type capacitors.
R. Quick Spark Gap, or my own design, depending on which is better (I
have some ideas, I have access to a computer controlled lathe, and I
will design my own spark gaps).

Talk to you l8r!

Jeremy Bair