[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: SERIOUS QUESTION and why we may be out of this hobby!

Tesla List wrote:

> Subscriber: knardell-at-mailhost.accesscom-dot-net Sun Jan  5 20:41:14 1997
> Date: Sun, 05 Jan 1997 22:21:18 -0600
> From: Kevin <knardell-at-mailhost.accesscom-dot-net>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: SERIOUS QUESTION and why we may be out of this hobby!
>
> Well, I contacted a friend at a TV station and he advised me that the FCC
> says (NEW LAW) that tesla coils,plasma balls, and similar devices fall under
> this new law and if you are caught operating them could face serious fines.
> Information unlimited also says that plasma balls will no longer be sold due
> to this law, what is going on here????????????????????????????????????
>
> I asked him about shielding my coil so the neighbors would not complain
> about phones being knocked out, the TV and computers going crazzzzy and
> stereo speakers buzzing. All these are things my neighbors are complaining
> about to ME at this time, he says there was a nightclub in CA that was shut
> down and fined due to a tesla coil and plasma balls operating there. Can
> this be true? The way he is talking they can see my coil operating on a
> spectrum analizer at their office and can tell where it is comming from,
> this is crazy! Or is he crazy???
>
> Could anyone please let me know the official laws or law pertaining to
> spark-gap devices and or tesla devices, and also what about the ban on sales
> of plasma balls?
>
> Look at information unlimited's web site about the plasma issue.
>
> Very much thanks
>    ********************************************
>    * T   E   S   L   A      C   O   I   L   S *
>    ********************************************
> Kevin Nardelle   knardell-at-accesscom-dot-net
> My main web page soon to be all TESLA
> related with lotsa pictures and links.
> http://www.accesscom-dot-net/nardell
>
> Non related sites I have
> The Louisiana Swamps Online (Under construction)
> http://www.icorp-dot-net/users/kev
> Get me on CuSeeMe for live video and chat!
> Shop talk, Show and tell, Ect...
> The Continuum Reflector-High speed and Color
> 204.107.221.9 Conf. ID 2601

Kevin,
	First, I would like to make it clear I'm not
speaking in an official manner for the U.S. Government.

	To be honest, it would be difficult to outlaw
Tesla Coils. As has been pointed out on this list, Tesla
coils are really in common use every day. In TV sets,
Computer Monitors (flyback), ignition coils and other
high voltage devices that do not have FCC licenses.

	Second, the FCC is mainly concerned with Radio
frequency allocations and RFI. And as far as I can tell
my Radio Shack Plasma display globe puts out no emmisions
via. RF or power line noise. So, unless UL labs (a voluntary,
non-government testing facility) has any complaints, I think
plasma displays are going to be around for a while.

	And last, as for your neighbors. If you don't
infringe upon your neighbors rights, then the government
won't feel a need to infringe on you. So ground your
coil properly. Use RFI filter equipement when attached
to your local power grid. Use an isolation transformer
if neccessary. Fire up your coil only indoors with proper
Faraday shielding. And if all of that fails, go out and
buy a diesel generator with a large metal shed.

Note: I personaly fire my coil up only after midnight. And
      try to reduce my run times if possible.

	Just remember, there are devices out there on the
power grid that put out as much, if not more RFI than your
coil. Power tools, AC induction motors, carbon arc lamps,
florescenct lamps, and the worst of all !!Computers!!. So
as for noise, your a little fish. Trust me.

	BTW, Tesla coils are not very good RF transmitters. So
unless you've really screwed up your design, your RF should not
carry any farther than the walls of your home.

D. Gowin