[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Latest magnifier results

Subject:  Latest magnifier results
  Date:   Sun, 8 Jun 1997 09:15:37 +0000
  From:  "Bert Pool" <bertpool-at-flash-dot-net>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>, jgore-at-onramp-dot-net
    CC:   bemery-at-why-dot-net

Wild Bill Emery and I built a new primary for our magnifier Saturday.
We increased its diameter by a total of four inches which reduced
coupling to an acceptable degree (nope, we have not yet measured the
actual value).  This night's run we tested the new FOUR layer
secondary and a new TWO layer resonator coil.  Did it work?

We are proud new entrants into the grand order of 10+ foot spark
makers.  We couldn't be more excited.  Well, ok, if we'd gotten 15
foot sparks, then we'd have been more excited.

We found that we could directly replace the 8.44 inch by 24 inch
single layer resonator with the two layer resonator without retuning
whatsoever.  The two layer coil does perform better than the single
layer coil, though not to a dramatic degree.  We might see a bigger
difference when we move up to larger capacitive top loadings.  We
are getting constant ground strikes from our toroid, which is
mounted over seven feet high.  Longest measured strike to ground was
10 feet, though we have streamers probably longer than that.  The
neighbors loved it.  We even had neighbors on other streets load
up their pickups with their kids and drive by to watch.

Our variac stcak suffered a very violent demise, complete with
fireball and acrid smoke.  We crawled into the power cabinet and
bypassed the variac so we were running directly off the contactors.
"Variac?  What variac?  We don't need no stinking variac!"  Instant
on, instant off.  Worked great.  We tripped our 60 amp circuit
breaker countless times, usually when the output spark hit the
transmission line and triggered a safety gap firing.

We experimented with using a piece of 10 inch wide aluminum flashing
as a transmission line.  I expected horrendous corona off the edges.
Nope, works very well, we saw no transmission line corona at all.  It
seems that the same physics which allow flashing to serve as a good
low impedence ground conductor also allow it to serve as an admirable
low impedence high voltage transmission line for magnifier work.
Downside:  it tens to flap a bit in light breezes.

Next on the agenda: a new 100 amp breaker has to be installed, and
we'll try moving up on the top load capacitance.  We designed a new
way of stacking our 36 by 8 inch toroids, so we'll probably next
attempt two toroids.  We'll also be moving up our tank capacitance
from 0.015 ufd to 0.03 ufd.  We're gonna leave the variac bypassed
for now.

Bert Pool
bertpool-at-flash-dot-net