[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Pri/Sec spacing

Subject:  Re: Pri/Sec spacing
  Date:   Sun, 8 Jun 1997 10:46:25 -0600
  From:  "DR.RESONANCE" <DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net>
    To:  "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

TO: William Noble

It is not necessary to use any plex to provide pri-sec insulation.  With
4" coil start the bottom on your sec. winding 1.5 inches above a
horizontal
line drawn thru the top of the primary (ie, this line is higher for
copper
strap than copper tubing due to the straps higher profile).  Use a flat
spiral primary for this type of coil.  Pri-sec spacing should be 1.5 to
1.75 inches.  With this configuration no arc over and no plastic
necessary.

Would also suggest a 24 inch winding length with the 4" dia.  12 x 3 or
14
x 4 top toroid.  15 turn primary (can be tapped as necessary), .01 MFD
with
60 ma drive or .02 with 120 ma drive.  Will produce 32-34 inch sparks
with
.02 MFD and 120 ma drive.  Use 20 turn primary if you are using a .01
cap.
4 electrode RSG synchronous at 1800 RPM for best results.  (old RTTY
machine motor)

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net