[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Secondary ground terminations

Subject:  Re: Secondary ground terminations
  Date:   Wed, 11 Jun 1997 10:12:44 -0400 (EDT)
  From:   FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
    To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

>snip>
<< Would it be reasonable to use this insert as a ground connection,
 >running a thin copper strip radially outward on the base of the
> lower disk from the insert to the bottom tail of the secondary?

> Gary Lau
> Waltham, MA

Hi Gary,

As long as you have a good connection, it doesn't matter much how the
connection is made.  This part of a coil is just not that critical.  I
forget
how large a coil you are making, but of course as the coil becomes
larger
(4kW +) the connection becomes more critical.  I've used all different
methods including many times just a clip lead on small (up to 2kW)
coils, and
it just didn't make any difference in the output spark length.  If it's
small coil, I suggest that you do a test; first try a good connection,
tune
up the coil and measure the spark length, then replace the good
connection
using a simple clip lead, and re-measure, and I don't think you'll see
any
difference in spark length.  In theory, a good connection is always
better;
in practice often no difference can be seen.

Looking for reality in coiling,

John Freau