[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 1st coils

From: 	Jim[SMTP:jwbuck-at-loclnet-dot-com]
Sent: 	Saturday, June 21, 1997 10:50 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: 1st coils

Thank you for the information & the time you take contributing to this
list.

> > I just subscribed to this list a few days ago.  Actually I just got my
> > first true TC built yesterday.  Anyway a few weeks ago I saw a picture
> > of a TC on the net.  The primary looked just about like the insides of
> > one of my ham radio antenna tuners.  I then looked around a little and
> > found a schematic.  Well even the circuit looked similair to the tuner
>
> A Tesla coil looks so similar to an antenna tuner because it is the
> grand dady of all tuned circuits!
>
> > so I took a few hours and wound a secondary on 18" of 1 1/2" PVC pipe.
>
> Way to long! Tesla coils should typicaly have a length/diameter ratio
> of 2-1 to 4-1 .

I've tried smaller secondaries but the spark just gets smaller.  The
primary tunes at far fewer taps.  I've tried to remedy that by using
smaller caps and even though the primary re-tunes with more turns the
sparks just get smaller.  I guess it could be a problem with my caps
since all my HV caps are rolled.  I may try to build some multi plate
flat caps & try that.

> [...]

> the nerve endings. Also your nerves have areaction time and if a
> series of pulses hit the nerves quicker than the nerve can recycle
> then you can't feel it.
>
> > Has anyone here built a high frequency driver for a TC?  I'm trying
> > to figure out the best way to do it and I don't really want to have
> > to build a high power,100% duty cycle radio transmitter.
>
> A number of us are experienting with using R.F generators of
> various types to directly feed a Tesla coil and the idea of using a
> radio transitter is not really a bad idea! The general reason to try
> directly feeding R.F. into a Tesla coil is to elimnate the noise and
> losses of the spark gap. Tube Tesla coils have been built but have
> thus far proven to be poor performers. Richard Hull has been
> experimenting with a Thyratron I think, on his latest magnifier and

Do you know if anyone has tried driving a TC with an arc transmitter
such as Valdmar Poulsen invented & briefly replaced the spark gap
transmitters of the time?

Thank again,

Jim