[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 10amp Hump

From: 	Bert Hickman[SMTP:bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com]
Sent: 	Sunday, June 22, 1997 7:34 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: 10amp Hump

Tesla List wrote:

> [...]

George,

Sounds like you're seeing 60 Hz resonance between the leakage inductance
of your pig, the series inductance of your welder, and your tank
capacitor. The reduction you're seeing with the added resistive ballast
is because you're reducing the "Q" of this circuit by adding the
resistor elements. The series LC combination of the transformer and
welder inductance and your tank capacitance (that's reflected back into
your primary as a much larger value) results in significant resonant
voltage rise in your pig's secondary side, and a significant increase in
primary current draw even with the gap not firing. Changing the value of
the series inductance may take you out of the sensitive range, and
addind resistive alelments will also keep the Q down, reducing this
effect as you've noted. To prevent potential damage to your tank caps,
you should probably add a safety gap across the secondary of your pig,
before the RFC's to your gap and tank circuit.

-- Bert --