[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 60 vs. 30 ma - charging

From: 	Edward V. Phillips[SMTP:ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu]
Sent: 	Wednesday, June 25, 1997 2:19 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: 60 vs. 30 ma - charging

"If the neon current goes to its maximum then the voltage goes to zero
(almost). Try it!! I do not see how to write an equation which will show
that the neon voltage is zero at max current and then increases as the
current decreases. Perhaps you can show in an equation, not words, the
relationship between current and voltage at the terminals of a neon.
With that in hand we can go about integrating the current to get the
final voltage on the cap.

Skip"
	The phase relation between TERMINAL voltage and TERMINAL
voltage is a function of the EXTERNAL load only.  If it is
a pure capacitance the current leads the voltage by 90 degrees
(or the voltage lags the current by 90 degrees, whichever you
prefer).  The current in the capacitor is at a maximum when
the rate of change of voltage across it is a maximum.  For a\
a sine wave of voltage the maximum rate of change of voltage
occurs when the voltage is zero.
Ed