[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Spark Gap Idea

From: 	DamDeName-at-aol-dot-com[SMTP:DamDeName-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent: 	Wednesday, June 25, 1997 10:57 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: Spark Gap Idea

<<  Thanks for the warning...I probally need it!  I know its not a good idea
 > to mess around with the HV when the coil is running but I am using a
 > insulated screwdriver; It has about a foot of fiberglass and the blade
 > stuck into the end is less than 1/4" deep. I also make sure I am well
 > insulated and only have one hand anywhere near the HV. I guess I should
 > have been more precise in my orginal post but I was just assuming that
 > an insulated handle would be standard procedure working with any HV..
 >
 > Jim >>

  Hello all ---

reading this brings back memories -------------------

   I had used similar tools & procedures to tune the tank ckt.
of a 4-1000 amp. in my ham days , with no problems ---
then one morning --- I wondered what happened as I
picked my butt up off the floor ------ I noticed the tool
was charred ---- (as well as my finger ) --- the power was not
R.F. --- it was abt 6 KV D.C. ----- I failed to observe that
each time I used the "insulated" tool ---- I left a bit of