[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Resonance Research/ Milwaukee Museum

Subject:
        Resonance Research/ Milwaukee Museum
  Date:
        Mon, 24 Mar 1997 18:47:51 -0600
  From:
        Chuck Curran <ccurran-at-execpc-dot-com>
    To:
        Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Dr. Resonance:

        Last December I had the opportunity to see two coils at the
Milwaukee
Discovery World branch of the Public Museum.  One was functional, the
other receiving some required preventative maintenance.  The stage crew
indicated that the coils had been built at Resonance Research and were
about 10 years old.  The one coil was run and actually produced a number
of sparks that were about 12 feet in length, which did catch my
attention!  I was wondering if you might remember these two units and if
an exact age might be available, simply to satisfy my curiosity.  The
general specifications are shown below, any corrections would also be of
interest:

        Secondary:              19" Dia. x 39" long form
                                300 turns of #14 ? or #12?

        Toroid:                 30" diameter by 6" (estimate)
                                Spun Aluminum

        Self Res. Freq:         166 Khz (estimate)

        Primary:                5 turns of 1/2" copper tube
                                21" I.D. by 30" O.D.

        Capacitors:             Two, in steel cans
                                about .04-.05 mfd.?

        Power:                  One 5 Kva 14,400 VAC pole pig
                                using inductive current limiting
                                made from an old variac core, hand
                                wound.

        Well, I wonder if this one rings a bell--from a way back, but it
was
running well last December.  Any idea of when they were built?

Chuck Curran