[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Source of free toroids(?)(levitron)

Subject:   Re: Source of free toroids(?)(levitron)
  Date:    Mon, 5 May 1997 12:48:59 +0500
  From:   "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
    To:    Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

On Sun, 4 May 1997 18:58:46 -0700 (PDT) Edward V. Phillips
<ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu> wrote;

> Re: Levitron
> "The Levitron is a
> more coloquial (Sp.?) expression that refers to having two ring
> magnets slid over a dowl such that their fields appose and the upper
> magnet will levitate in space over the bottom magnet, impresive sight
> the first few time you see it."
>         NEGATIVE.  The Levitron is a totally different device, a
> spinning top which literally floats in air above a magnetic base.
> Different principle, far more spectacular.  For more info go to"
>
>         http://www.physics.ucla.edu/marty/levitron/

Ed, were both right. In a 1960 copy of the Edmund Scientific Co.
catalog there is a Levitron and it is composed of a wooden base 3" in
diameter with a 1" diameter dowl coming up out of the center 6" long
the unit came with two ring magnets 3" diameter with 1 1/4 inch hole
in the center of each. One was supposed to but the magnets over the
dowl in opposing position and the top magnet will float 3" above the
bottom ane and if you forced the top magnet down on top of the lower
on and let go the top magnet would launch several feet into the air!
I visited the URL listed above and indeed that device is also called
a levitron so to be totally correct we would have to refer to the old
and new Levitrons.