[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Top Terminal Shape

Subject:  Re: Top Terminal Shape
  Date:   Fri, 9 May 1997 00:30:43 -0400 (EDT)
  From:   richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

At 07:58 PM 5/8/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Subject: Top Terminal Shape
>  Date:  Thu, 8 May 97 14:27:47 EDT
>  From:  pierson-at-gone.ENET.dec-dot-com
>

>        Also, its the smallest radius anywhere (exception below) that
>        is expected to control, so a thin wire to a separated sphere
>        is questionable, in fact designing the to terminal so as to
>        be phyisically mountable, while not having sharp curvature
>        is tricky.  I noted a few weeks back that someone reported (?)
>        improvement by spacing the toroid up WITH A LARGISH CYLNDRICAL
>        METAL SUPPORT, to there was minimal corona loss off the wire.
>        (Was i hallucinating, did somoen so report?)  If so, it would
>        want a slit in one side to avoid 'shorted turn', effects, i
>        think.

big snip

>regards
>        dwp

The slit in any component on top of most 2.5:1, L/D or better resonators
is
absolutely not needed at all.  The primary coupled energy at that point
is
usually k=.005 or so.

experiment:

Take a shorted ring of copper pipe just slightly larger than the OD of
the
resonator. Remove all terminal gear to leave a naked resonator sitting
in
the primary.  Disconnect the primary and hook an LCR meter to it.
Slowly
lower the ring down towards the top of the resonator  (you will see
little
if any change in the primary inductance provided your coil is 2.5:1 or
better L/D ratio and you have a tolerable inductance in the resonator.
as
the coil gets really close to the primary more effect will be noted.
But
near the top it is of almost no concern and receives almost no primary
coupled energy. If you have a mind to, and can actually see a change on
the
LCR meter with the ring near the top turn of the resonator, figure the K
value and compare it to your coupling pri/sec.

Feel free to jam all sorts of shorted turn garbage on the top of your
resonators! (remember, it will affect the effectiveness the top
resonator
turns, but it will also protect and shade them.  It is a balance.
Forget
the primary, it is in the next galaxy, inductively.

Richard Hull, TCBOR