[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Golka coil specs

Subject:     Re: Golka coil specs
      Date:  Mon, 12 May 1997 20:50:42 -0800
      From:  Greg Leyh <lod-at-pacbell-dot-net>
        To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Malcolm Watts wrote:

> I think it is a tribute to Greg Leyh's engineering skills that he has
> scored 30' with 1/3 of the power Robert Golka was using. This remark
> might be offbeat, but I have heard from a coiler I respect highly that
> Golka's theoretical skills are somewhat lacking.

Yeah, those Magnifiers are quite the power hogs...(smiley)

>     I'd also like to suggest to new list members/first time coilers
> that you have some of the best coilers in the world present on this
> list to help you with your projects (too many to name and does not
> include myself).
>
> Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm -- sometimes I think that Golka was being punished
by the Gods of Aesthetics, for his many grievous sins in that regard.
His Wendover setup apparently used *toilets*, in order to support
the primary winding.  I suppose that they _are_ good insulators (if
properly cleaned) and they _can_ hold up several hundred pounds,
but, but,...

I hope to learn from the mistakes made on my present coil (whose name
is the 120L50K), if and when I build the next one (whose name will be
the 180L120K.)  Amongst the improvements will be a higher surge
impedance for the primary ckt (~16 ohms), a larger top electrode
capacitance (~330 pF), and a faster gap rate (400 PPS).

-GL