[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Is This Neon Trans. Worth Fixing?

Subject:  Re: Is This Neon Trans. Worth Fixing?
  Date:   Fri, 23 May 1997 13:44:24 -0400 (EDT)
  From:   Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
    To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

<< I have a 15kv 30ma transformer which pops a 15A circuit breaker when
the
 primary is connected to the AC outlet.  There is no connection/load on
 the secondary.  The outlet behaves normally with another transformer of
 the same model.  There is no visible sign of a problem, except that
 there is a tar leak down one corner, coming from the lid, (as though it
 may have overheated, expanded, and leaked).  I have not yet checked it
 with an ohm meter.

 Is there a typical cause for this symptom, and what is the fix likely
 be?

 Thanks for any info.

 Tedd

Tedd,

I would guess the primary is shorted.  A shorted seconday won't cause
excess
primary current in a shunted neon sign transformer.  You might measure
the
resistance of the good and bad transformers and compare them.

Ed Sonderman