[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Winding Directions.

Subject:     Re: Winding Directions.
       Date:   Sun, 25 May 1997 22:31:13 -0700
       From:   Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>
         To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Tesla List wrote:

> Subject:      Winding Directions.
>        Date:  Fri, 23 May 1997 20:41:46 -0400
>        From:  Tom Heiber <theiber-at-lonet.ca>
>          To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>
> Before I start. I'd like to thank all people who helped me solve my
> problems with TC's. Some ideas worked some not but I appreciate all
> input.
>
> I just have a quick question. I have built the TC secondary and I am
> using a flat spiral primary. I am just wondering whether the direction
> of winding the wire (clockwise, counter-clockwise) matters. And wheter
> ground should be connected on the inner, or outer ending.
>
> Tom Heiber

Tom,

For a 2-coil system the winding direction of the primary doesn't matter.
If you are driving the coil off neon transfomer(s), then NIETHER end of
the primary should be grounded. Only ground the base of the secondary -
and let both ends of the primary "float". Tie the case of the neon(s) to
the same heavy RF ground as the base of the secondary coil. Make sure
that you have at least 1 - 1.5" of clearance (all the way around)
between the innder-most turn of the primary and the secondary coil.

Safe coilin' to you!

-- Bert H --