[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: vacuum pump oil

From: 	Alfred A. Skrocki[SMTP:alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com]
Sent: 	Thursday, November 06, 1997 8:43 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Cc: 	megavolt-at-usa-dot-net
Subject: 	Re: vacuum pump oil

On Wednesday, November 05, 1997 2:27 AM Matt Mills
[SMTP:megavolt-at-usa-dot-net] wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   I'm looking at making some capacitors and was wondering whether rotary
> vacuum pump oil from mobil is any good as I can get 20litres (4-5gallon)
> for NZ$55 (about US$40

Matt, some vacuum pump oils like Sunsil are superior to any 'transformer'
oils I have ever seen, but on this oil from Mobil unless you find someone
who has tried it or if you can get a sample to test is a big unknown and
could just as likely be a total looser for capacitors. What you want in an
oil for capacitors is the highest dielectric constant and dielectric
strength you can get while having the lowest power factor you can. You can
measure the oils dielectric constant by making a capacitor with it
and measure it's copacitance then measure the capacitors plate area and
spacing then calculate the dielectric constant. To find the oils dielectric
strength you have to apply an increasing test voltage untill you break down
a sample. The power factor is the hardest to measure, but you can get an
idea of the oils relative power factor by noting how much it heats up in
a capacitor, the more it heats up the higher the power factor and the less
desirable the oil is.

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   Alfred.Skrocki-at-CyberNetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/