[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: viynl instead poly

From: 	Sulaiman Abdullah[SMTP:sulabd-at-hotmail-dot-com]
Sent: 	Saturday, November 15, 1997 2:17 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: viynl instead poly

Hi,  Vinyl = Polyvinylchloride = PVC = very lossy
I'd expect the losses to be too high to use in a capacitor because the
loss goes straight to heat, not a good idea. (burning PVC produces VERY
toxic vapours)
It seems that PVC is OK for coils because there we're dealing primarily
( Secondary - ly ?!) with magnetic not electric fields.
I've tried thin sheets of PVC as a rolled-up capacitor under oil, it
worked for quite some time (many short sessions) but eventually failed
with nice under-oil pyrotechnics, lots of nasty black smoke.
I'll never again use PVC for capacitors. bye ... Sulaiman