[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: new secondary problems

From: 	Julian Green[SMTP:julian-at-kbss.bt.co.uk]
Sent: 	Wednesday, November 19, 1997 5:39 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: new secondary problems

Yes I get this and its due to the thick layers of polyester resin I
coated my coil with.  The insulation chargs up from small amounts of
corona.

Corona can recify the RF from a TC, just hang a metal sphere from nylon
fishing line out of streamer reach but within corona reach and you will
see.

The charging of the insulation can be reduced by reducing the corona
generated by the secondary.   Make sure that there are no nearby objects
to the secondary.   On my coil the wire connecting the movable tap to
primary was causing problems.

Apart from that the zaps arn't too bad and I can live with them.  Try
discharging them by brushing the coil with an earthed wire before you
move it.

Julian Green