[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Measuring Coupling Coefficients

From: 	terryf-at-verinet-dot-com[SMTP:terryf-at-verinet-dot-com]
Sent: 	Tuesday, November 25, 1997 4:23 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Measuring Coupling Coefficients

Hi All,
        I have been playing with measuring coupling coefficients lately.  I
was just wondering if anyone has a relatively easy way to accurately measure
this elusive factor?
        I have tried measuring the coils in series so that the inductances
add and then subtract and then applying the formula M=(La-Lb)/4.  However,
due to the large difference in the primary and secondary inductances (two
orders of magnitude) this formula can introduce substantial error.
        I have been able to load the output with a 10K ohm resistor and use
a 50 ohm voltage source to determine K.  However, the frequency needs to be
carefully selected to insure an accurate reading, the math involved in the
calculation is very complex (the compter does all the work:-)), and it takes
substantial test equipment to perform.  So far this is the best method I
have found and it seems to work very well but I just want to be sure I
haven't missed some simpler method.

Any thoughts / comments welcome.

        Terry
        terryf-at-verinet-dot-com