[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: al wire

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 1997 22:36:50 -0700
From: randy-at-gte-dot-net
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: al wire

Tesla List wrote:

> [...]
 The thing to look
> out for is electrical connections. Aluminum will oxidize at connection
> points, and must be re-tightened and reworked in a crimp-type
> connection. It's best to use a bolted-through type of connection.<snip>
> --
>
>     Rick Holland
>
>     The Answer is 42

There is a jim=dandy product called NoAlOx or Noalox, I forget which,
available at electrical supply stores. It is a conductive grease
designed for use on al-al and al-cu connections in house wiring. I have
used it with good success on antenna element joints as well. I also used
it with good success on golf cart battery terminals  pb-cu, with no
ill effects noted. As Rick's message would suggest, there have been
a goodly number of house fires in homes with Al wiring, due to lack
of retightening. Some homes use all aluminum, and some only use it in
the high-current 220v applications (pronounced "expensive conductor")
applications, which ain't a helluva lot better. Ugh.
Randy