[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Rubber toroids

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 11:45:46 -0400
From: Kevin Christiansen <kevin+-at-cs.cmu.edu>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Rubber toroids

At 11:57 AM 10/12/97 -0600, you wrote:

>It works! When I was no longer able to find spun sheet iron globes to

>use for Van De Graffs and Tesla coil terminals, I started

>experimenting with various manufacturing techniques and ended up with

>using paper mache and then spraying it with Aqua-Dag spray ( a

>conductive graphite based paint used in the T.V. industry to create

>ground plains in cabinets ect.) then plating the entire surface using

>a foam brush connected to oe terminal of the power supply and the

>other terminal being connected to the Aqua-Dag surface periodicaly

>soaking up some plating soloution onto the foam brush. Using this

>technique I hae so far manufactured a 6 foot sphere for my last Van

>De Graff generator and a 48 inch x 12 inch toroid for one of my

>Tesla coils. Using this method I hae no doubt in my ability to make a

>conductive surface of ANY size or shape I so desire!

>                               Sincerely

>                                \\\|///

>                              \\  ~ ~  //

>                               (  -at- -at-  )

>                        -----o00o-(_)-o00o-----

>                           Alfred A. Skrocki

>                   Alfred.Skrocki-at-CyberNetworking-dot-com

>                             .ooo0   0ooo.

>                        -----(   )---(   )-----

>                              \ (     ) /

>                               \_)   (_/

Hello there!

Thanks for such an informative post!  I am glad that such things are possible.

Is Aquadag something you purchase or something you make?  If you make it, what's

the recipe?  Can it be done with conductive lampblack (which I just happen to

have...)?

Also, what's the recipe for this plating solution that you are using?

Thank you very much!

- Kevin

                     Kevin D Christiansen

Human Computer Interaction Institute - Carnegie Mellon University

      kevin-at-cs.cmu.edu    http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~kevin/

"The universe is composed of space, galaxies, and intergalactic

 dust.  Galaxies themselves are composed of space, stars, and

interstellar dust.  From the omnipresence of dust, we conclude

that nature abhors a vacuum and won't pick up a broom, either."

</bigger>