[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Non-Linear Coil Winding Experiment. (and more tests!)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 19:47:05 -0600
From: terryf-at-verinet-dot-com
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Non-Linear Coil Winding Experiment. (and more tests!)

>From: "Edward V. Phillips" <ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: Non-Linear Coil Winding Experiment. (and more tests!)
>
>" The coils were driven from a sine wave
>generator with a 600 ohm output Z.  I also ran the coils with a 50 ohm
>square wave generator that can drive much harder but the results were the
>same.  All the equipment is less than five years old and seems to work
>flawlessly."
>Terry:
>	If I didn't miss a decimal point, the last two coils would
>have a reactance of the order of 25000 ohms.  If the Q were only
>200, the effective series resonant resistance would be only 145
>ohms.  With your 600 ohm generator resistance any peak would be
>very broad.  It would be worth repeating your measurement, looking
>for the dip in generator output voltage at series resonance.
>Ed

        I only attempted to measure Fo.  My equipment can't measure the true
Q of the coils with any confidence (yet).  I did testing with different
source resistances (10 - 1000 ohms) and Fo didn't change at all.  If I use a
high Z source the Q (bandwidth) should broaden as you describe but Fo should
stay the same.  Of course with non-linear coils there may be unknown factors
at work, but my results with different resistances did not show anything
unusual.

        Terry