[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Non-Linear Coil Winding Experiment.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 19:47:07 -0600
From: terryf-at-verinet-dot-com
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Non-Linear Coil Winding Experiment.

At 11:24 AM 10/15/97 -0600, you wrote:

Very big snip........ (made bigger)

>sparks, etc.  Of course, the electrostatic properties of the toroid itself
>may also be altering the current distribution along the coil.  The primary
>coil coupling would also have to be adjusted, but that is generally no problem.
>        I expected Zbase to vary somewhat and was surprised to find it did
>not.  However, this is in the non-spark breakout mode, and base currents are
>minimal.  My guess is that Zbase will change a bit when the sparks start
flying.

>More to ponder...
>
>Regards,
>Mark S. Rzeszotarski, Ph.D.

        My original reason for starting this project was to try to reduce
Cdis to increase output voltage and reduce the high turn-to-turn fields in
the base of a coil to reduce the chances of breakdown (ie. shorter but still
powerful coils).  This appears to have worked in these coils :-))  However,
the reduction in Cdis appears to be caused by concentrating fields around
the coil rather than from reducing wind-to-wind effects.

        If, as Mark's testing suggests, the Zbase and I assume the losses in
these coils is equal then this could have many implications as to how we
think about coil losses.  I would not expect these coils to have equivalent
losses.  My coil #2 was supposed to have reduced losses at full power.  Of
course, full power is really needed for this test.

        I cannot measure the Q or losses with any accuracy but I am sending
the three coils to Mark.  Perhaps he can test the losses and see what we
have.  If the losses for all three coils are the same, I will have to trash
all my spice models again!!! :-))

        We will eventually work up to real coils that produce real sparks.
I think this is a good start!

        Terry