[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Rubber toroids [plating]

From: 	Harri Suomalainen[SMTP:haba-at-cc.hut.fi]
Sent: 	Monday, October 27, 1997 1:23 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Rubber toroids

On Sat, 25 Oct 1997, Tesla List wrote:
> The above soloution is fine IF you are going to submerge the object to be
> plated in the plating soloution (I'd love to see you try plating a 6 foot
> sphere that way)

One possibility is rotating the object in the solution. As I began to
think of electrochemical coating I figured that would be the only
reasonable way to do the job. Havenät tried it out (at least yet) but
it should work fine in theory.

> If you look at my origional post I overcame the size
> limitations imposed by immersing the sphere or toroid in the soloution by
> instead saturating the soloution onto a foam brush connected to the
> positive side of the power supply and using a painting action to plate the
> surface which is connected to the negative side of the power supply.

That is quite an interesting idea. Does the plating advance really fast
enough for such "painting" operation? (Yes, I can guess it means *slow*
movements and takes some time to do). I'd really love any more info on
this method. As you've tried it out (used it perhaps much) you'd most
probably be able to give lots of nice tricks you've discover so far.

The downside for painting with a foam brush would be you'd easily rub off
eg. graphite from the surface I guess. Gotta try it out and see myself.
--
See "Malin Tunic: Chemistry of structure - function references in cheese" for
further details!