[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A (neon) Scrounging story.

From: 	Adam[SMTP:absmith-at-tiac-dot-net]
Sent: 	Monday, October 27, 1997 12:27 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: A (neon) Scrounging story.

That's a lot of work for one 7.5kV transformer, IMHO.  I don't know what
it's like in Australia, but neon sign tranformers here is the US are the
one part that isn't hard to find.  Usually good capacitors are the
hardest to find or most expensive piece of the medium sized Tesla setup.

Here in the US, finding a good neon sign transformer is as easy as
picking up the phone and calling places listed in the yellow pages under
"signs".  Specify that you want a removed-from-service unit in working
condition.  I start by calling the places whose street addresses include
"industrial park".  Every large neon sign maker I've ever been to (many)
has had piles of these things, just laying around collecting dust.
Usually I can get the 30ma ones for free, but 60 and 150ma units usually
cost me $30 or so.  Oil burner transformers are good for small coils too,
and you can put three or so in parallel for a good 70mA.  Most
heating/plumbing repair guys have these handy, usually for free.

These things don't all have a long lifety either, so you really can't
have too many.  I have found from my experiences that Franceformer brand
units are really easy to blow, and Jefferson and GE units tend to last
longer.  Others will have had different luck.

-Adam

Adam Smith
absmith-at-tiac-dot-net
Epoch, Inc. Digital Music Project