[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Toroids

From: 	Malcolm Watts[SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent: 	Tuesday, September 02, 1997 12:38 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: Toroids

Hi Dale,

Right. Two considerations. First is radius of curvature. If this is
too large for the voltage your machine produces, sparks won't break
out. To get around this you either stick a small bump on the side/s
to assist it or increase primary energy to regain output voltage
lost by increasing the secondary capacitance as the toroid size is
increased. Of course, you can only increase Vout to the extent that
the winding length permits before you get winding flash overs. So
shape vs capacitance is an issue. If you maintain the same
_effective_ radius of curvature you can arbitrarily increase the
capacitance and primary energy to match for real hot sparks :)
and experiments suggest that increasing available output energy
while maintaining the same output voltage still makes the sparks go
further.

My two cents,
Malcolm