[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: capacitor

From: 	Geoffrey Schecht[SMTP:geoffs-at-onr-dot-com]
Sent: 	Wednesday, September 03, 1997 11:42 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: capacitor

I've got a few Pyranols laying around. I don't think that they're dangerous
unless they're leaking or unless you manage to blow their seals from
overheating. Here in the US, anything with polychlorinated biphenol (PCB's)
has to be disposed of as a hazardous material, at least legally. So, if I
get a leaker, I just bag it in a trashcan liner and take it to work as an
additional nuisance for the hazmat disposal crew. Fire Departments can
handle hazmat disposal in most locales.

Pyranols always seem to show up at hamfests and surplus stores. They also
show up in junkyards (like in the big photoflash capacitors that certain
photocopiers use. I found one a while back with a large hole in its side,
the dielelctric had bled into the bottom of the copier's chassis. That's
one I didn't touch. I guess that we're drinking it by now in our tapwater
:(.

If I lived near Rusty Duncan, I would have gladly taken those caps off of
his hands. Those big guys are hard to find these days!

Geoff