[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Glass cap with polyethylene

From: 	Alfred A. Skrocki[SMTP:alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com]
Sent: 	Sunday, September 14, 1997 9:21 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Glass cap with polyethylene

On Friday, September 12, 1997 3:05 PM Richard Smit
[SMTP:esmit-at-ilink.nis.za] wrote;

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering! Glass is a bad dielectric for a Tesla Coil but what if you
> take a thin piece of polyethylene and place it between the foil and glass.
> Will it still be a bad cap or will it be better because of the poly?

The reason glass is a poor dielectric for Tesla Coils is because it
suffers large dialectric losses (consumes much of the R.F. as heat)
and adding the polyethylene won't change that. Your much better off
keeping the glass out and sticking with the polyethylene and
submerging it in mineral oil to eliminate coronal losses. One thing
to look for in chosing a dielectric for Tesla Coil capacitors is the
lowest Power factor you can get, the lower the power factor the
smaller the dialectric losses. You can find power factors listed for
various dialectrics in the OLD CRC handbooks, the new ones just don't
carry that information any more. BTW if anyone has difficulty finding
an old CRC handbook for the dielectrics listings let me know and I
scan it from mine and post it to the list.

			       Sincerely

				\\\|///
			       (  -at- -at-  )
			   Alfred A. Skrocki
		  Alfred.Skrocki-at-CyberNetworking-dot-com
			     .ooo0   0ooo.
			       \_)   (_/