[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

mixed dielectric cap

From: 	teslaman-at-juno-dot-com[SMTP:teslaman-at-juno-dot-com]
Sent: 	Wednesday, September 24, 1997 9:30 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: mixed dielectric cap

On Wed, 24 Sep 1997 18:06:45 -0500 Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> writes:

> [...]

  It's a small world.  I am on vacation this week and my project is the
same as yours.  I am experimenting with 4 mil building supply type
polyethylene with masking paper soaked in mineral oil.  This paper can be
found at building centers also.  It's approx 3 mil thick and comes in
different size rolls.  I am using 12" x 60 yards cut into sections and
immersed in oil before assembly with the poly and foil.   I believe the
paper will more or less assume the dielectric constant of the oil and be
helpful keeping an oil supply between poly sections.  This is just what
the big boys do in there pulse caps.    referring to Aerovox technical
data/design literature I have.

 I agree on the entrapped air as it must be removed.  Watching a test
capacitor under oil as voltage was brought up to corona onset, revealed
the ominous blue glow in areas of small air bubbles and eventual rupture
in that same area.   The oil I plan on using will be transformer grade
mineral oil as it is on hand.  Hopefully we will both have success with
our venture.  More input from others out there on this subject  would be
appreciated.

 Kevin E.