[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

McMaster Carr Mica Sheets

----------
From:  Alfred A. Skrocki [SMTP:alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com]
Sent:  Thursday, April 02, 1998 5:43 AM
To:  Tesla List
Cc:  Tesla-2
Subject:  Re: McMaster Carr Mica Sheets

On Wednesday, April 01, 1998 12:32 PM Mike Hollingsworth
[SMTP:Hollmike-at-aol-dot-com] wrote;

> ...I believe that three layers of this mica will prove to be adequate for 15kV
> neons, but I will post results when I confirm this.  I hope it works well as
> this makes for a nice compact cap.  It also is easier to put together than
> rolled caps and can be assembled under mineral oil to eliminate air bubbles.
> A 0.01uF cap can be made with 8 plates of 4 X 6 inches using three layers of
> this mica.  I cut 1 inch radius curves on the corners of the plates to reduce
> stresses so the area is 23.1416 sq. inches per plate.

Mike, you may want to try using Sunsil refrigerator compressor oil or a
similar product, it has a dielectric constant of 5 which is closer to that
of the mica than mineral oil's 2.3

                                       Sincerely

                                        \\\|///
                                      \\  ~ ~  //
                                       (  -at- -at-  )
                                   Alfred A. Skrocki
                               Alfred.Skrocki.Sr-at-JUNO-dot-com
                           alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com
                      Visit my Do-It-Yourself Aquarium WEB page at;
                       http://www.geocities-dot-com/CapeCanaveral/6251
                                     .ooo0   0ooo.
                                       \_)   (_/