[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

diode

----------
From:  David Dean [SMTP:deano-at-corridor-dot-net]
Sent:  Thursday, April 09, 1998 3:45 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: diode

AS far as short circuit protection is concerned, the volt-ampere rating of
the
transformer is greater than that of the circuit supplying power, ie 125vac
20A
circuit breaker. (I'm talking here about the max. safe current rating of the
wire
in the windings.) When I short the sec. on a non- modified MOT plugged into
125V outlet with a 20A breaker the pri. current pegs the needle on my
clamp-on
ammeter on the 40A scale for about a second then the breaker trips.
Sometimes
when people bring in microwave ovens to be repaired the complaint is "when I
push
the start button it just trips the breaker". Usually in such a case the
problem is a
defective diode which in effect grounds the output terminal of the
transformer.
So I am not concerned with that.
The point about resonant charging- as I understand it you get resonant
charging
when Xc = Xl ; that is when the output impedance of the transformer is equal
to the
impedance of the capacitor in this case at 60hz. Since Xr is "assumed" to be
neglegable, and Xc and Xl are 180 degrees out of phase, the resultant Vo
would be
2*Vin. Of course in real life there is always some resistance so it never
gets that high
but...sometimes close. I would expect to have to use some type of current
limiting in
series with the pri. as they do with distribution transformers, potential
transformers, etc.
Perhaps I'm missing something?