[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

40 mil LDPE and 5kv Transformers?

----------
From:  Joshua Resnick [SMTP:seraphim-at-WPI.EDU]
Sent:  Thursday, April 09, 1998 1:21 PM
To:  'Tesla List'
Subject:  Fwd: 40 mil LDPE and 5kv Transformers?

Steve,
I have two H&R's in series with my coil. My cap is 9 layers of 6mil poly
per dialectric sheet. The cap is an interleaved flat plate type.  I would
not recommend using one 40 mil layer. When coupled to a larger cap, between
.08uf and .1uf, the transformers have a resonant rise. This rise can be
detrimental,I really think that one 40mil layer is just below the safety
margin. You want this rise effect because it helps the gap to break down at
the lower H&R voltages. I found that the best gap is  a vacuum quenched RQ
gap with close spacings between the pipes. My cap is .12uf and at full
power (140v) variac input to the H&R's with 6 series gaps, the pipes need
to be set just less than an eigth of an inch apart.  Don't let this bother
you, the H&R trannies really perform despite what has been said about them.
My coil produces 5' sparks and runs at 77kHz.  Just go all the way on the
cap and make it BIG.
-->Josh<---

           ____
    /\/\ ((____)) /\/\/\/\                     Joshua Resnick