[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

secondary suicide?

----------
From:  D.C. Cox [SMTP:DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net]
Sent:  Sunday, April 12, 1998 11:05 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: secondary suicide?

to: Jeff

With PVC once you have "carborized" the coilform with tracking or arcing
you will have to start over.  Sanding and grinding usually doesn't help
much with a coil that is producing a strong output (1- 1.5 times coil
length).  The problem usually begins if you are running an insufficient
ground.  Without an excellent ground the bottom of the coil doesn't know it
is the bottom and corona/flash tracking usually start (many times inside
where it isn't visible) and will quickly kill an overwise good design.
When you get it rewound be sure you are using an excellent ground --
absolutely no aluminum -- only copper such as 4 AWG welding cable (thin
stranded with many small conductors).  Run the 4 AWG outside to your copper
ground rod.  Anything less than this will usually produce the results you
have experienced.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net