[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Spark Gaps

----------
From:  Malcolm Watts [SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent:  Wednesday, April 15, 1998 12:34 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Spark Gaps

Hi Richard (Hull), all,

<snip>

> FETs are really a great way to get data, but are in the tit-mouse class at
> their best. There are a lot of solid state items coming along now that can
> give the H2 thyratron a run for its money when comparing raw specs but the
> heavy kick back found in tight coupled Tesla systems will leave the solid
> state devices a smoldering mass while the H2 thyratron keeps on ticking.  In
> addition some these new solid state devices are in the kilobuck price range.
> Great stuff to dream about though.

Absolutely agree. The coil eventually produced discharges reaching
about 1/2" FWIW. The main aim of the exercise was to get sub-uS
control of frequency, dwell and quench times to examine the issues
involved in detail. I felt it was reasonable to extrapolate the
results to other disruptive systems given that they basically work
the same way. Very interesting, very instructive and hopefully
very useful when I come to try using those kA range SCRs I mentioned
a while ago. I do not want to send them to an early grave.

Regards,
Malcolm

> No, it looks like we are stuck for the foreseeable future with air gaps and
> their limited control.

Unfortunately yes.