[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Magnifier 13 report (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 10:25:19 +1200
From: Malcolm Watts <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Magnifier 13 report

Hi Richard,

> From:  richard hull [SMTP:rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net]
> Sent:  Saturday, April 18, 1998 1:19 PM
> To:  Tesla List
> Subject:  Re: Magnifier 13 report
>
> <snip>

Thanks for answering the other questions.

> >> This being the case, and as expected, the tuning of the primary made
> >> absolutely no difference or had zero effect on the output frequency.  This
> >> frequency was rigidly fixed as being that of the resonator alone and was
> >> verified with scope measurements. The tuning did, as expected, influence the
> >> current in the tank with the lowest tap inductance sending the tank current
> >> to about 150 amps while the highest inductance point reduced it to about 40
> >> amps.  (Changing the effective surge impedance of the tank)  The sparks were
> >> thin and whispy and never exceeded three inches. (~70 watts input)  This
> >> system was not optimized as it was thrown together on a first pass.
> >>
> >> More data as things happen here.
> >
> >That is a mode of operation the Corums emphasize on their literature.
> >Nice to have a gap that can actually do it :) It would be interesting
> >to compare peak output in this mode with peak output using a normal
> >gap. Can be done?
>
> >Regards,
> >Malcolm
> >

> Malcolm,
>
> I realize that this is indeed the Corums mode of operation.  The coil,
> unfortunately seems to be un tunable!!  I have not tried the micro critical
> tune that Tesla noted though and will hook in an antenna tuner coil to
> carefully vary that parameter and get back to everyone with a report.
>
> Richard Hull, TCBOR

It *would* be untunable because the primary is not ringing
sympathetically with the secondary system. You should be able to run
the primary like this with any tuning according to C&C. Given that,
it would be interesting to see how different primary "frequencies"
give different results if any. Again, I would be interested to see a
cmparison of output for this mode of operation vs that of a ringing
primary. It would be even more interesting to compare scoped output
(no breakout) with scoped output for the normal gap given all else
remains the same.

Thanks again,
Malcolm