[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Rotary Gap Design

----------
From:  FutureT-at-aol-dot-com [SMTP:FutureT-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent:  Thursday, August 20, 1998 6:45 AM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: Rotary Gap Design

<< Hey all.

> Just wondering whether anyone has designed a rotary gap with two rotors
> instead of one rotor with stationary electrodes.  What I'm trying to picture
> here is two rotors with X electrodes. The rotors are mounted like they were
> gears, but instead the rotors spin in the same direction.  The relative
> velocity of the electrodes is then doubled so quenching would
> presumably be higher.  Overheating of the stationary electrode would then
> be redundant.

Andrew,

Yes, the mechanical dwell time would be reduced, but this does not
insure that the quenching will be faster, since the two are often
independent to a great degree.  Still, the faster dwell can be a plus.
The cooling aspect would be a plus.  I've always wanted to try the
idea, but didn't because I just didn't think it would make much
difference overall, IMO.

John Freau