[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Rotary Gap Design

From: teslaman-at-juno-dot-com

On Thu, 27 Aug 1998 05:39:36 -0600 Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> writes:
>From: bertpool-at-ticnet-dot-com

>two
>rotors
>trying to
>> picture
>like
>> they were
>relative
>would
>> then

>rotates.
>> >
>> > No, Greg, it is possible to build a rotary gap using two
>counter-rotating
>> disks
>> > which utilize no stationary gaps - Tesla already successfully did
>this.
>> I do not
>> > think Nikola ever rotated his coils during operation, but if might
>have
>made
>> > longer sparks, then Tesla probably did that too  ;>)
>> >
>> > Bert Pool
>>
>> How would you do it without at least stationary slip rings?
>> The slip rings would effectively operate as spark gaps, at the
>> current intensities and risetimes that are found in a typical
>> primary coil circuit.  Might as well design the stators to
>> handle the sparking.
>> --
>>
>> -GL
>> www.lod-dot-org
>>

>Certainly slip rings or the equivalent would be necessary - but the
>voltage
>drop
>and power loss would probably be insignificant.  There's only one way
>know,
>and that's to actually build one!  Maybe one of our list members has
>access
>a milling machine and can build a medium-power prototype?
>

>All..

  For what its worth, in the book "High Frequency Apparatus" by Thomas
Curtis, there are plans for a rotary using two metal discs rotating in
opposite directions using brushes for each disc and a single gap between
them for the sparking surface.  This is dated approx. 1916.

  The brushes are made from spring brass wires making contact with brass
spindles which the discs are mounted to.  This design was used for a
Tesla Coil having an extended on time for use in a plant culture
experiment.  Interesting reading, available from Lindsay publications.

  This book also gives good design theory in winding you own power
transformers.

Kevin E.

Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno-dot-com
Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]