[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Desert Coil

I went to Burning Man (http://www.burningman-dot-com) this year and HIGHLY
recommend
it. I went for the last 3 days and didn't sleep the entire time. It's held
for 9
days prior to Labor day in the black rock desert north of Reno. It's nonstop
explosions, large lasers, rockets, fires, high voltage, music, art, and
yes, they
had a very large tesla coil. It is semi controlled mayhem until the last
night,
when it's complete mayhem, they burn down all the structures built for the
event.
This year there were 15,000 people. With tickets at $100 a pop, and not much
overhead in the desert, they had lots of cash to spend on "entertainment"
like the
TC and laser shows. I was amazed how responsible most people were, I saw no
accidents. Be advised, it's not for the timid, clothing was optional, so was a
normal state of mind.

Back to the coil. The secondary was about ~30"dia. using high voltage wire
with a
toriod ~6' across made from rings of  3/4"tubing.  Multiple streamers were 15'
long. The coil had a 4 turn helical primary and a high speed RSG. All very
professional believe it was made by Lightning on Demand
(http://www.lod-dot-org). They
ran it several times every night and experimented  electrocuting various
objects.
That event is what inspired me to begin building my own TC and eventually
how I
discovered this group.

I'm planning to have my 8" coil running there next year. By the way, They
end the
event by burning down a 75' tall neon "man" who is filled with pyrotechnic
fun.
thus the name...

See you there,

Bill