[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Secondary with thin wire

----------
From:  Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz [SMTP:acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br]
Sent:  Tuesday, February 17, 1998 1:47 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Secondary with thin wire

Hi:

I was looking what I have around to build a small capacitor-discharge
Tesla coil. I found a PVC tube with 8.8 cm (3.5") of diameter (more
than enough, about 2m) and many spools of 32 AWG magnet wire (relay
coils). By my initial calculations, I think that I can build an
acceptable secondary with this rather thin wire, with 1500 turns, what
results in a winding measuring 30 cm (I don't want sparks longer than
about this for awhile).
The inductance would be 20.8 mH, the self-capacitance 10.4 pF,
with resonance without top terminal at 305 kHz. Considering only the
DC resistance of the wire (223 Ohms), the Q reaches 435 (I didn't
compute the skin effect and other losses yet). I will have to use
five of the spools to complete the required wire length.
Some advice on how to make this work? Is the thin wire a so serious
problem? An it is really necessary to dry and coat the PVC tube with
polyurethane varnish before the winding? (saves a day).

Thanks,

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz
mailto:acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq