[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

transformers in oil (fwd)

Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 21:00:39 -0700
From: "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: transformers in oil

On Monday, February 16, 1998 2:47 PM Kevin Wahila
[SMTP:wawa-at-spectra-dot-net] wrote;

> now that my transformers are cleaned of all their tar, i want to soak them
> in mineral oil.  can i use a plastic tupperware or rubber made container to
> put the transformer in and then fill it with oil?  or do i need to use
> something like plexi-galss for the container?

Hi kevin, most of the people who've used Tupperware containers to hold oil
impregnated transformers or capacitors also complain about mysterious oil
leaks (probable wicking through the lid seal by capillary action). In the
long run you will have a more durable and certainly more portable unit if
you build a plexiglass case for it. BTW don't forget to put a small safety
pressure release near the top of the case so if it builds up pressure it
will be able to safely vent rather then blowing the container a part.

                                        Sincerely

                                         \\\|///
                                       \\  ~ ~  //
                                        (  -at- -at-  )
                                    Alfred A. Skrocki
                                Alfred.Skrocki.Sr-at-JUNO-dot-com
                            alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com
                       Visit my Do-It-Yourself Aquarium WEB page at;
                        http://www.geocities-dot-com/CapeCanaveral/4606
                                      .ooo0   0ooo.
                                        \_)   (_/