[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RCA 5762/7C24 Tubes

----------
From:  Robert W. Stephens [SMTP:rwstephens-at-headwaters-dot-com]
Sent:  Monday, June 01, 1998 5:57 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: RCA 5762/7C24 Tubes

> ----------

Pete, All,

The RCA 5762 triode is a terrific tube for a largish vac toob TC if
you can get your hands on one or more!

Fil.  12.6 V -at- 29 A
Amplification Factor 29
Plate Volts Max 6200
Plate Dissipation Max 3000 Watts

Used as a self rectifying oscillator (as in Tesla coil with mains AC
on the plate supply, or an industrial heating oscillator) the RCA data sheet
has the following advice:

Maximum Ratings
----------------------
AC Plate Volts (RMS)... 7,000 max. volts
DC Grid Voltage...-300 max.volts
DC Plate Current...0.625 max. amps
DC Grid Current...0.135 max. amps
Plate Input...4,900 max. watts

Typical Operation
----------------------
AC Plate Voltage (RMS)...6,600 volts
DC Grid Voltage...-127 volts
DC Plate Current...0.625 amps
DC Grid Current...0.105 amps
Driving Power (approx.)...60 watts
Power Output (approx.)...3,350 watts

The thoriated tungsten filament has a center tap which should not be used
for heater current but is offered as an extra place to add a bypass
cap to ground when the tube (good for up to ~220 MHz) is used at
higher frequencies.

I have canibalized two RCA BTA-10K AM broadcast transmitters which
originally came outfitted with 5 of these RCA 5762 tubes each.  A pair in
push-pull as the modulator and three tubes paralleled for the RF final.  My
transmitters came with an English Electric Valve higher performance
direct replacement of this old RCA tube which are rated at a
considerably higher 5 kW of plate dissipation.  I am using three of
these newer EEV BR1160 triodes in parallel in my Coronatron (hi-power
vac toob TC).

The RCA or EEV tubes have an external copper finned jacket anode about 5
inches in diameter which sit (fil. end up) in a special spring
fingered socket cup which is pressurized by a high CFM blower.  A
second cooling air nozzle must be directed sideways and downwards
directed at the filament terminals coming out of the top (fil. end)
of the tube to keep the seals cool.  To insure long service life
ALWAYS allow 5 minutes of filament warmup time before applying plate
current!  Once they are up to temperature the filaments should be
left on if the unit is to stand idle with plate supply off for up to
several hours and then be re-used.  These tubes require serious
airflow at max ratings.  I'd recommend about 1/3rd to 1/2 horsepower of
turbine blower per tube.

Normal wimpy house wiring (except 230 volt stove or dryer circuits) won't
fully excercise this tube but if you wire your project directly to the main
panel you should be able to have some *serious* fun! : )

Good luck.

Robert W. Stephens
Director
Lindsay Scientific Co.
RR1 Shelburne, ON Canada L0N-1S5
Tel: 1-519-925-1771   Fax:
*Custom built Tesla coils, etc., for museum display
 and special effects work.
*Canada's largest publicly accessible wall-to-wall
 indoor lightning show...by appointment.
*Future home of Electric Science World,
 educational/entertaining Theatre of Electricity.
*Antique TV Museum...in search and acquire mode now.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Inquiries welcomed! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~