[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

chokes-new question

----------
From:  Malcolm Watts [SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent:  Monday, June 01, 1998 6:09 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: chokes-new question

Hi all,
         I fired a small coil this weekend using a 5kV 30mA NST. I
used *no* fitering components at all. The transformer to gap leads
were just a few inches long. The gap is effectively hard up against
the transformer terminals. It was set to fire at 7-8kV. Charging was
resonant but not pure as the primary cap on hand was a bit too high a
value to exactly hit mains resonance. I got nice 12" air streamers
off the coil. The primary was dreadfully lossy and I expect much
better once the driver is oil-submerged to eliminate coronas.
Resonant charging was evidenced by the 2-3BPS gap firing at a 30%
variac setting.
     The point I would make with regard to filters is that if the
main gap is virtually hard up against the transformer secondary
terminals, a safety gap set to fire at a higher voltage would be
redundant. In future, I will place all transformers right up to the
main gap and if necessary, place an RF grounded metal housing over
all components at risk from secondary strikes. I am dead certain that
the chokes and/or long lines running to the transformer secondary
terminals have been a cause for considerable misery when it comes to
NST longevity. The key is energy storage between the main gap and the
transformer terminals. I will be firing with a couple of 15kV 60mA
transformers in a couple of weeks and expect no problems by adopting
this srategy.

Malcolm