[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

HV hookup wire Braid to help with HF protection

----------
From:  Malcolm Watts [SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent:  Wednesday, March 04, 1998 11:47 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: HV hookup wire Braid to help with HF protection

Hi Chris,
          Most interesting thought.....

<snip>
> > Braid is not a good thing to include in high frequency resonant
> > circuits, silver plated or not. Skin effect adds enormously to the
> > resistance of braid. In trying to stay near the overall conductor
> > surface, the current has to hop from strand to strand so in using
> > braid, you are including hundreds of connections of dubious quality
> > in the wire. It would be OK to use between the transformer and the
> > spark gap, but nowhere else. The high I^2.R losses in it make
> > themselves known as heating in the wire.
> >
> > Malcolm
> >

> Wouldn't this very property be useful on the protection circuit
> for the transformer.  It seems like it would allow the 60 Hz out
> of the transformer and help to cut the HF kickbacks dow a bit.
>
> Chris

It would certainly behave as a high frequency resistor. I guess it
warrants some investigation as to how useful it would be beside
ordinary resistors in the application. Power handling would be
considerably better. I once included two feet of braid in a tank
circuit running peak currents around several hundred amps. I couldn't
believe how hot it got in a thirty second run. This was after
measuring it during a series of experiments to test all types of wire
for suitability as earth continuity conductors using....... a 1V o/p
signal generator. A piece of litz wire which had the same effective
copper cross sectional area ran stone cold.

Malcolm